Saturday, 13 July 2019

Barriefield

 
 
Location:  Frontenac County    
N 44.239114  W 76.461568
Barriefield Rock Garden Park on James St, between Main St. and George St.
 

This 6 foot tall cairn, erected in 1994, stands alone far away from the edge of the street. A gravel path leads to the monument and encircles it. The most noticeable part of this cairn, is the St. John's cross also known as the Maltese, Regeneration, Iron or Pattee cross. There are many forms of this type of cross. At the foot of the cairn is a marker commemorating the 100th anniversary of the First Canadian Division and at the back there is a plaque dedicated to the men and women who served with the 1st Canadian Division. Nearby is also a tree dedicated to the same division.  
 
 
History
The 1st Cdn Div has its roots in 1914 when Canada went to war for the first time as a nation.  Canada became a nation and took its rightful place on the world stage with the efforts of soldiers who won the day on Vimy Ridge and during the last 100 days of First World War.
The 1st Cdn Div was established three more times after the First World War: during the Second World War, once following the Korean War in 1954, and again near the end of the Cold War, in Kingston, Ontario in November 1989.
The Red Patch
The red patch has long been a badge of honour for all members of the Canadian military.  The “old red patch”, was worn for the first time during the Somme.
This tradition carried on throughout the intervening years and during the Second World War, the 1st Cdn Div earned more accolades from allies and enemy alike as the Germans nicknamed the Canadians of the 1st Cdn Div "the little red devils" attesting to its determination and skill during the Italian campaign.  The distinctive red square shoulder patch of the 1st Cdn Div, which has been worn by its members since the organization’s inception, will continue to be used as a symbol of recognition today. 


The village of Barriefield started in 1814 when a local Kingston businessman and politician, Richard Cartwright decided to divide part of his land to create lots for working people employed at the Royal Naval Dockyard. In 1820 the village was named Barriefield after Commodore Sir Robert Barrie who was in charge of the dockyard. With the building of Fort Henry in the 1830's, Barriefield became a significant pre-confederation Upper Canada village. Later on, with the outbreak of World War I, Barriefield became a military base known as Barriefield Military Camp or Camp Barriefield.

This part of Kingston still has many old type houses, that when you go there it seems that you are entering another town. And with all it's rich military history it deserves and has to have a monument or a war memorial of its own.

**Thanks to Louise Bellec for the photos and research.



 
Marker:

THIS MARKER COMMEMORATES
THE 100th ANNIVERSARY OF THE
1ST CANADIAN DIVISION - 10 AUGUST 2014

CETTE PIERRE COMMEMORATIVE
SOULIGNE LE CENTENNAIRE DE LA
1re DIVISION DU CANADA - 10 AOUT 2014
 



 
Back Plaque:

THE " OLD RED PATCH" 
LA "FLANELLE ROUGE"

DEDICATED TO THE MEMORY
OF THE MEN AND WOMEN OF THE CANADIAN FORCES
WHO PROUDLY SERVED WITH THE 1st CANADIAN DIVISION
AT HOME AND ABROAD
IN THE PURSUIT OF PEACE,
AND TO THOSE WHO WILL CONTINUE TO SERVE IN THE FUTURE.
SINCE ITS ACTIVATION ON 26 JANUARY 1915,
THE DIVISION HAS ESTABLISHED AND MAINTAINED
A DISTINGUISHED TRADITION OF COURAGE, DISCIPLINE AND ENDURANCE.
THIS HERITAGE WILL BE CARRIED ON BY THOSE
WHO WEAR THE 'OLD RED PATCH'
ON THE RIGHT SHOULDER OF THEIR UNIFORM.

11 NOVEMBER 1994

(REPEATED IN FRENCH)
 


 
plaque at tree:

MAPLE TREE DEDICATED TO 1st CANADIAN DIVISION
AND PEOPLE OF CANADA ON THE OCCASION OF "ROYAL DAGGER EXCERSISE" 1996
A GIFT OF FRIENDSHIP FROM THE SECOND GERMAN ARMY KORP

DEDICATED JUNE 1996:

GERMANY: GENERAL FORSTER Chief of Staff 11 (GE/US) ARMY KORPS

CANADA: GENERAL ROMEO D'ALLAIRE Chief of Staff

 (Unfortunately damaged during Ice Storm 1998)