Saturday, 22 September 2018

Vernon


 
Location:  City of Ottawa     N 45.159952    W -75.462319
7814 Lawrence Street, beside the Osgoode Township Historical Society and Museum.
 

The village of Vernon was once part of Osgoode Township, until amalgamation in 2001 with the City of Ottawa.  Home to the Osgoode Township Historical Society and Museum, which houses a tremendous collection of local artifacts in two separate buildings, reflecting on the rural and agricultrural history of the area. 
Located beside the museum is this memorial, a grey granite stone listing the names of the men from the community who died in the two World Wars.  The Korean War is also recognized although no local men where lost in that conflict.

**Special thanks to Louise Bellec for providing photos and details of this memorial.

Marker text:
IN MEMORY OF THE MEN
FROM THIS COMMUNITY WHO
DIED FOR THEIR COUNTRY

1914-1918
CORP. FINDLAY STEWART
PTE. ERNEST BONSALL
PTE. CALVIN BOWEN
PTE. JOHN CRERAR
PTE. RUSSELL DOW
PTE. MAYNARD HILL
PTE. MEDRIC LANOUE

1939-1945
TROOPER KENDON BOYD
LIEUT. NAIRN BOYD
SGT. ROY KENNEDY
P/O OSWALD LINTON

1950-1953

LEST WE FORGET



Sunday, 2 September 2018

Port Dalhousie

 
 
Location:  Niagara Region     N 43 11.988   W 79 16.263
In the median on Ann Street, at the Main Street intersection.
 

This beautiful memorial was erected in November 1924, in an elegant ceremony to honour the local men lost in the Great War.  The statue was designed and sculpted by the famous sculptor Emmanuel Hahn.  The soldier atop the Port Cenotaph looks down in sadness at the ground below him, as if he might find there, his fallen comrades......if not for the tragedy of war. 
The granite base was designed and constructed by the McIntosh Granite Company of Toronto.
Twenty names of local heroes lost in World War I were engraved on the monument, later seven more names were added to include those lost in World War II.  The Korean War was also added later, as well as the Afghanistan War, which is recognized by a black stone on the ground behind the memorial, and at the head of a memorial walkway.  The entire memorial sits in the median in the middle of Ann Street and is very well kept and landscaped.
An interesting website with more details can be found here: http://citizensoldiersofportdalhousie.weebly.com/




Marker text:
Front:
THIS MEMORIAL WAS ERECTED BY
THE PEOPLE OF PORT DALHOUSIE
TO THE GLORY OF GOD
WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES
FOR KING AND EMPIRE
IN THE GREAT WAR
1914---1918
AND IN WORLD WAR II
1939---1945
WHOSE NAMES ARE HERE RECORDED
AND IN HONOUR OF
ALL THOSE WHO SERVED
1939---1945
KENNETH RICKERS
RALPH S. ECKHARD  B.E.M.
LOUIS DOUGLAS LAWSON
NORMAN TROBRIDGE
NORMAN MURRAY WILSON
ROBERT HAROLD JACKSON
MARSHALL DOUGLAS FLEMING

GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS
THAT A MAN LAY DOWN HIS LIFE
FOR HIS FRIENDS

1950   KOREA   1953
 



Right side:
1914---1918
HAROLD C. ROONEY
J. NORMAN PAXTON
JOHN R. COLQUHOUN
ROLAND F. ASTON
ERNEST M. ABBEY  M.M.
WILLIAM BROWN
ANDREW GARSTER
LEO R. ROONEY
JAMES N. BERNHARDT
J. CLARENCE SUTTON
W.C.S. HOLLAND
 


 

Rear:
YPRES
FESTUBERT
VIMY RIDGE
SANCTUARY WOOD
PASSCHENDAELE
SOMME
ARRAS
MONS

ERECTED A.D. 1924

AFGHANISTAN
2002---2011
 
 




Left side:
1914---1918
GEORGE RHIND
WILLIAM INGLIS
THOMAS GRIEVE
PHILIP S. GREGORY
PETER SHERIFF
JOHN LYNCH  M.M.
HILLIARD P. BAKER
ALBERT CLARK
ROBERT BRUNTON

DIED SINCE 1918
ARTHUR SMITH
HARRY J. STANTON
JOSEPH W. HART












Sunday, 26 August 2018

Lively

 

Location:  Greater Sudbury     N 46 25.224   W 81 08.574
At the corner of 6th Avenue and B Street.
 

This memorial is found at the edge of community park, well-manicured and taken care of.  Not many details appear on the cenotaph, mainly the dates of the major wars of the previous century and a solemn yet simple phrase of remembrance.  A cross with a laurel of peace nicely finishes the memorial.  No names appear on the memorial, nor any affiliation with a local Legion.



Marker text:
TO THE GLORY OF GOD
IN MEMORY OF OUR VALIANT DEAD
AND THOSE WHO SERVED

WORLD WAR I   1914-1918
WORLD WAR II   1939-1945
KOREAN WAR   1950-1953

A SOLEMN PRIDE MUST BE THEIRS
TO HAVE LAID SO COSTLY A SACRIFICE
UPON THE ALTAR OF FREEDOM

LEST WE FORGET
 
 



Sunday, 19 August 2018

Van Camp

 
 
Location:  United Counties of Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry.
N  45 02.685   W 75 26.885
On Levere Road, just east of Development Road.
 

This memorial is dedicated to the fallen heroes of this small community who fell in the Great War.  The village of Van Camp was never a large settlement, but is even smaller today.  Simply a rural crossroads with a handful of scattered residences and the former Van Camp United Church and cemetery.  The church was last used as a residence, the cemetery sitting beside it with its weathered gravestones of previous generations.
Five names appear on the memorial, young men who left their homes and farms to fight for King and Country, for freedom and for liberty.  These brave men never returned to their families, forever lost in the mud of France, never having the chance to rest in peace in this quiet cemetery of a place that no longer exists.  This place they called home, far from the horrors they witnessed in the trenches of death.
 


Market text:
Front:
DEDICATED TO THE MEMORY
OF OUR FALLEN HEROES
WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR.

CLIFFORD SHAVER
154th BATT.  C.E.F.
OCT. 31, 1917  AGE 21 YRS.

FRANK D. VALENTINE
154th BATT.  C.E.F.
JUNE 26, 1917  AGE 26 YRS.

DONALD M. HOPE
27th BATT.  C.E.F.
DEC. 29, 1918   AGE 27 YRS.

FRED BAULCH
154th BATT.  C.E.F.
DEC. 4th, 1918  AGE 20 YRS.

ARTHUR S. HOLLANDS
87th BATT.  C.E.F.
NOV. 23rd, 1916  AGE 22 YRS.

THEY DIED THAT FREEDOM MIGHT LIVE.

1914 - 1918


Saturday, 11 August 2018

Millgrove

 
Location:  City of Hamilton     N 43 20.213   W 79 57.479
Near the entrance to the Millgrove Cemetery, 877 Millgrove Sideroad.
 

The small community of Millgrove was part of the former Township of West Flamborough, now part of the City of Hamilton.  The cemetery is full of history, dating back to the United Empire Loyalists.
The memorial is a red granite stone with the names of the men who lost their lives in the World Wars, nine in World War I, two in World War II.  The memorial is not overly fancy or flashy, but stands in solemn modesty among the other gravestones found in this quiet cemetery.



Marker text:
ERECTED IN MEMORY OF THESE FALLEN
HEROES OF THE WAR, 1914-1918

CORP. IVAN M. CRULL.
PTE. ELIAS FRANK CUMMINS.
PTE. JOHN H. DE JERSEY.
PTE. ROBERT DUNBAR.
PTE. RICHARD FENNING.
PTE. ALBERT HARRIS.
PTE. SYDNEY HADLEY.
PTE. WILLIAM RISBY.
PTE. JOHN A. SPRINGER.

ALSO OUR HEROES OF 1939-1945
CORP. HUGH C. DRUMMOND
A.B. JOHN ROWLAND



Saturday, 4 August 2018

Chesterfield

 
 
Location:  Oxford County     N 43 17.660   W 80 40.120
In the churchyard at the corner of County Road 22 and Township Road 13.
 
 
"Chesterfield was an early farming hamlet in Oxford County, first settled in the 1830s. By the 1840s, it has a store and Presbyterian church. A post office was added in 1851. It later grew to include a blacksmith, wagon-maker and school.
During the 1880s and 90s, Chesterfield was a thriving little hamlet with a population of around 150. Most of its businesses were farm-based and included a number of live stock breeders and dealers and of course a veterinarian.
Like many farming hamlets, Chesterfield began to decline in the early part of the 20th century. Improved roads and the advent of the automobile, enabled farmers to travel to larger centres that offered a wider range of services. As time marched on, Chesterfield slowly began to revert back to farmland.
One institution that remained active was the former Presbyterian church, now known as the Chesterfield United Church. The church continues to hold regular services and maintains an exceptionally large and elaborate cemetery. The cemetery contains a number of World War I veterans as well as a striking cenotaph, built during the 1920s. In recognition of those who died while in service to their country, Remembrance Day services are held annually at the site."
*Thanks to  http://www.ghosttownpix.com
 

This memorial was constructed of granite imported from Scotland and the soldier imported from Italy in 1920. Memorial services are held annually in November. Wreaths are laid along with 25 small white crosses, one for each name on the Monument, as well as one at a distance for the unknown soldier. The white crosses are made and presented by Rev. Earl Millson who is a Second World War veteran and minister of the church. Listed on the front of the memorial are the names of those who died in the First World War while the name of those who died in the Second World War are listed on the side.  *Thanks to http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remembrance/memorials/national-inventory-canadian-memorials/details/5289



Marker text:
Front:
CORP. JAMES L. HASTINGS   PRIN. PAT.
PTE. JOHN S. CRERAR  B.A. 133rd NOR. OWN
SGT. GORDON H. STAUFFER   118th BATT.
SGT. WM. A. BROWN   168th BATT.
PTE. JOHN B. WILLSON   1st CAN. DIV. M.M.G.B.
PTE. ALLAN D. HAMACHER   73rd BATT. R.H.G.
PTE. CLIFFORD BROWN   42nd CAN. HIGH.
SGT. FRANK McKIE   1st CAN. L'T. I.M. BAT'Y.
PTE. FRED J. ALLAN   58th BATT.
PTE. ROY C. ELLIS   168th BATT.
CORP. WILLIAM E. HENSON   125th BATT.
PTE. WALTER NEWMAN   168th BATT.
PTE. DAVID G. FOREMAN   4th INF. BATT.
PTE. WILLIAM ROPER   21st BATT.
PTE. OSCAR CHURCH   2nd C.O.R.
PTE GEORGE F. STEEDMAN   168th BATT.
F'T.  L.'T. GEORGE O. MacKENZIE   R.A.F.
PTE. BENJAMIN WRIGHT   71st BATT.
PTE. HAROLD W. MILBURN   75th BATT. CAN.
SGT. DOUGLAS E. BRISTOW   84th BATT.

ERECTED TO THE MEMORY OF
OUR HEROES
1914 - 1918
 




Right side:
PTE. FRED W. VEITCH   51st BATT.
 




 
Left side:
IN
LOVING MEMORY
OF

W/O ROY E. FULCHER
R.C.A.F.

FLT.SGT. JOHN S. RENNICK
R.C.A.F.

W/O NORMAN W. PEAT
R.C.A.F.

PTE. JOHN R. VANCE
LINCOLN & WELLAND REGT.

GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN

AFGHANISTAN
PTE. TYLER W. WOOD   PPCLI

1939 - 1945