Location: N 43° 13.009 W 079° 45.986 Found in Battlefield Park, on the southeast corner of King Street and Centennial Parkway.
Large monument, unveiled in 1913, on the 100th Anniversary of the Battle of Stoney Creek, by Her Majesty Queen Mary.
On June 5, 1813, an invading United States army of about 3,000 men,
commanded by Brigadier-General John Chandler, camped in this vicinity.
That evening some 700 British regulars of the 8th and 49th Regiments,
under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel John Harvey, left their
encampment on Burlington Heights to attack the enemy. The assault was
launched early the following morning under cover of darkness. In the
fierce fighting which followed, heavy losses were suffered on both
sides, but the Americans were defeated and withdrew after their senior
officers, Brigadier-Generals Chandler and Winder, were captured. This
victory is credited with preventing Upper Canada from being overrun in