Location: United Counties of Prescott and Russell
N 45.623457 W 74.683699
At 772 Front Road West, at the entrance to L'Original Camping.
Not only is the site of this monument is
at the entrance of a park, it is also situated in an historical area along the Ottawa River.
The monument was erected for the commemoration of the Centennial of Confederation in Canada. The wall, which is in 3 parts, looks like the style that they would have built houses and fences hundreds of years ago. In front are the Ontarian and Canadian flags. on each side in front of the wall are 2 cannons. A walkway leads to the middle wall where you can pay you respects. There are 2 plaques honouring and commemorating our brave soldiers of the Second World War and the Korean War. The two cannons do not have any plaques.
***Special thanks once again to Louise Bellec for the photos and research.
Front wall, left plaque:
CENTENNIAL OF CONFEDERATION
ERECTED BY THE VILLAGE OF L'ORIGINAL
AND THE TOWNSHIP OF LONGUEUIL
IN PERMANENT COMMEMORATION IN
CANADA IN 1967. CONSTRUCTION WAS MADE
POSSIBLE THROUGH THE CO-OPERATION OF
THE PROVINCE OF ONTARIO AND
THE GOVERNMENT OF CANADA.
CENTENAIRE DE LA CONFEDERATION
ENTREE DU CENTENAIRE
PARC DE L'ORIGINAL
MONUMENT ERIGE PAR LA VILLAGE DE
L'ORIGINAL ET LE CANTON DE LONGUEUIL
EN COLLABORATION AVEC
LA PROVINCE D'ONTARIO ET LE GOUVERNEMENT
DU CANADA. POUR COMMEMORER
LE CENTENAIRE DE LA CONFEDERATION
CANADIENNE CELEBRE EN 1967.
Front wall, middle plaque:
1950 - 1953
Front wall, right plaque:
NOUS NOUS SOUVIENDRONS
LEST WE FORGET
1939 - 1945
JOSEPH GUY BERTRAND
GORDON STUART MACINTOSH
MALCOLM ALEXANDER MACLEOD
J.E.G. CONRAD MONTCALM
JOSEPH GERMAIN PILON
Right wall English plaque:
THE SEIGNEURY OF L'ORIGNAL
This area, the present township of Longueuil, was granted
in 1674 to François Prevost, Town Mayor of Quebec, and was
the first seigneury in what is now Ontario. Known originally
as the seigneury of "Pointe a L'Orignac", it was not developed
until the Hon. Joseph Le Moyne de Longueuil, seigneur since
1778, granted portions to settlers during 1784-90. Nathaniel
Hazard Treadwell purchased the seigneury in 1796, built
mills and roads and expanded settlement. A United States
citizen, Treadwell left Canada during the War of 1812 and
forfeited his lands, but later regained these and sold the
seigneury to his own son Charles in 1824. By 1873 most of the
seigneurial lands had passed out of the family.
Archaeological and Historic Sites Board of Ontario.