Sunday, 8 May 2016
Aylmer - RCAF Station
Location: Elgin County N 42 48.177 W 80 57.403
Near the entrance of the Ontario Police College, at 10716 Hacienda Road (County Road 32).
The current location of the Ontario Police College was once the site of R.C.A.F. Station Aylmer, once of several training bases for air crew and support personnel during World War II. The Aylmer station was in operation from 1941 to 1961.
The memorial is the original wind tee, used to direct air traffic at the training school. It was restored and relocated her in 1983, dedicated to all who served at this training facility. There are two plaques with this memorial. One at the beginning of the walkway to the wind tee, the second on the wind tee itself.
Thank you to the Ontario Police College for ensuring the remembrance of those who came before them, and to Royal Canadian Legion Branch #81, for making the memorial possible.
RCAF STATION AYLMER
THE ONTARIO POLICE COLLEGE NOW OCCUPIES THE
SITE THAT WAS FORMERLY THE LOCATION OF THE
ROYAL CANADIAN AIR FORCE STATION AYLMER
BETWEEN 1941 AND 1961 THOUSANDS OF AIRCREW
AND GROUND SUPPORT PERSONNEL RECEIVED THEIR
TRAINING HERE. MANY OF THESE GRADUATES WENT
ON TO GIVE THEIR LIVES IN SUPREME SACRIFICE
FOR DEMOCRACY AND FREEDOM DURING THE SECOND
WORLD WAR AND THE KOREAN WAR.
IT IS TO THESE COURAGEOUS SPIRITS WHO
HAILED FROM CANADA, THE UNITED STATES
AND ALL PARTS OF THE BRITISH COMMONWEALTH
THAT THIS RESTORED AND RELOCATED WIND TEE
LEST WE FORGET
Wind tee plaque:
FROM 1941 UNTIL 1961 THIS "WIND TEE" WAS
USED TO DIRECT AIR TRAFFIC AT THE ROYAL
CANADIAN AIR FORCE TRAINING SCHOOL
WHICH OCCUPIED THE SITE OF THE PRESENT
ONTARIO POLICE COLLEGE. IT WAS RESTORED
AND RE-LOCATED HERE IN 1983 BY BRANCH
No.81 OF THE ROYAL CANADIAN LEGION.
BY KIND PERMISSION OF THE
ONTARIO POLICE COMMISSION