Saturday, 6 August 2016
Location: Middlesex County N 42° 59.256 W 081° 14.810
At the corner of Wellington Street and Dufferin Avenue, in Victoria Park.
The London cenotaph is an exact replica of the cenotaph found in Whitehall, London, England. It was dedicated in November of 1934, and re-dedicated again in 1999. The Imperial Order Daughters of the Empire, along with the Legion and several local service groups where responsible for the construction of this memorial. It was originally planned in the 1920's, but the depression held of construction until 1934.
Originally erected to honour those lost in the Great War, additional inscriptions and small plaques were added in later years to also honour other wars and conflicts, including peacekeeping. In 2005, the Year of the Veteran, a remembrance garden was added to the display.
An impressive piece of stonework, this monolithic memorial stands tall and proud in the southeast corner of London's historic Victoria Park.
IN HONOUR OF THOSE WHO DIED
IN WAR AND CONFLICT
by the Imperial Order Daughters of the Empire (IODE)
by the London Municipal Chapter IODE
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM