Sunday, 4 March 2012
Johnstown - Fort De Levis
Location: N 44° 45.119 W 075° 27.112 On the south side of Highway 2, east of Johnstown, in front of a trailer park.
Last stand of France in Canada. Fort de Lévis, on Isle Royale, (Chimney Island) was built by Captain François Pouchot in the spring and early summer of 1760. Its garrison surrendered after a gallant defence, on 25th August, 1760, to the British army commanded by Sir Jeffrey Amherst. Siege batteries were established on this point and on adjacent islands. Now considered a National Historic Event, marked by this cairn and plaque.