Thursday, 7 June 2012
Stoney Creek - Battlefield of Stoney Creek
Location: N 43° 13.100 W 079° 45.850 On the north side of King Street West, in a small park.
On June 5, 1813, an invading United States army of about 3,000 men, commanded by Brigadier-General John Chandler, camped in this vicinity. That evening some 700 British regulars of the 8th and 49th Regiments, under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel John Harvey, left their encampment on Burlington Heights to attack the enemy. The assault was launched early the following morning under cover of darkness. In the fierce fighting which followed, heavy losses were suffered on both sides, but the Americans were defeated and withdrew after their senior officers, Brigadier-Generals Chandler and Winder, were captured. This victory is credited with preventing Upper Canada from being overrun in 1813.**taken from nearby Ontario Historical Plaque
The memorial itself consists of a small burying ground known as Smith's Knoll, where the remains of soldiers from both sides were laid to rest. The stone cairn with a Union Jack flag design marks the main memorial, flanked by cannons and topped by a majestic lion. This cairn was erected in 1909 and re-plaqued several times, the latest being 1956.
There is also a memorial dedicated to the soldiers of the United States who also fell and are buried in this sacred ground. This was dedicated in 1972.
THE BATTLEFIELD OF STONEY CREEK
6TH JUNE, 1813
IN MEMORY OF THE 20 GOOD AND TRUE KING'S MEN WHO
IN FIGHTING IN DEFENCE OF THEIR COUNTRY DIED
AND WERE BURIED ON THIS KNOLL.
THIS REVISED INSCRIPTION AND STONE RE-DEDICATED
JUNE 6TH 1956
HER MAJESTY'S ARMY AND NAVY VETERANS SOCIETY OF
TO COMMEMORATE AND HONOUR
THOSE UNITED STATES COMRADES
WHO FELL IN THE WAR OF 1812
LAID 1972 BY THE
AMERICAN LEGION POST 18