Monday, 26 November 2012

Cornwall - Glengarry Fencibles


Location:  County of Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry   
N 45° 01.485 W 074° 43.136
In front of the armoury on the north side of 4th Street between Marborough Street and Baldwin Avenue.

Raised in December of 1811, the Glengarry Light Infantry was to help the meager British Defense of the Canada's, in the impending war with the United States. Chiefly made up from Scots, from the Glengarry County, the unit was classified as "Fencibles," meaning they wouldn't fight outside their province or on foreign soil (both of which they did).
As a Light Infantry Regiment, the "Glens" wore Black cross-belt equipment and adopted the uniform of Britain's 95th Rifles. The green tunic and grey trousers proved most effective in campaigning in Canada,  due to their improved stealth in bush warfare, which earned the regiment name "Black Stump Brigade" from their Indian allies.
Light Infantry is used on the flank of a battalion to test the enemies strength, harass the enemy lines and cover any necessary retreat. During the "War of 1812," the Glengarries "Distinguished" themselves in actions at Ogdensburg, York, Fort George, Fort Oswego, Chippawa, Lundy's Lane, Cooks Mills, and earned the Battle Honour "Niagara."            
**taken from
 Also see:

The Cornwall Armoury was built in 1938 and served as a training ground for thousands of soldiers during the Second World War and today.  Home of the Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders, a Reserve Force light infantry unit of 33 Canadian Brigade Group.

The memorial is an Ontario Historical Plaque.  Also a tank and artillery piece rest in front of the armoury.

Marker text:
THE GLENGARRY FENCIBLES                                                                                                          The regiment of Glengarry Light Infantry Fencibles was
raised in 1811-12 largely from among the Highland settlers of
this region, many of whom had served previously in Europe
with the Glengarry (British Highland) Fencibles. The
Canadian corps was recruited through the efforts of Major
George Richard John Macdonell ("Red George") assisted by
the Rev. Alexander Macdonell (later Upper Canada's first
Roman Catholic Bishop) who served as its chaplain. The
regiment was taken on the regular British army establishment
in 1812, and disbanded at Kingston in 1816. Detachments of
the Fencibles distinguished themselves in many hard fought
engagements including: Salmon River, 1812; Ogdensburg, 1813;
Lundy's Lane, Fort Erie, and
Mackinac, 1814.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.