Saturday, 24 January 2015
Port Hope cannon
Location: Northumberland County N 43° 56.938 W 078° 17.580
In front of City Hall, 56 Queen Street.
This captured war prize from the Great War, now rests quietly in front of the Port Hope town hall, alongside other memorials honouring the brave men who fought so gallantly in the name of freedom. The display was restored and donated by the local Rotary Club, as part of the millenium project.
THIS 77MM GERMAN FIELD GUN WAS CAPTURED BY
CANADIAN SOLDIERS ON THE WESTERN FRONT DURING
THE GREAT WAR, 1914-1918 AND WAS PRESENTED AS
A MEMORIAL TO THE TOWN OF PORT HOPE IN 1919.
DURING THE SERVICE OF DEDICATION ON THE 15TH DAY
OF JUNE, 1925, THE REVEREND CAPTAIN F.W. ANDERSON
SPOKE OF THE HEROIC DEEDS PERFORMED BY CANADIAN
SOLDIERS DURING THE VARIOUS BATTLES IN WHICH THEY
WERE ENGAGED AND FURTHER STATED "LET THIS GUN BE
PLACED HERE AS A PERMANENT MEMORIAL TO THE BOYS
WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES TO CAPTURE IT, IN ORDER TO
SAVE THEIR COMRADES."
THE PORT HOPE ROTARY CLUB UNDERTOOK THE PROJECT
TO RESTORE THIS GUN AND IT WAS RETURNED TO THIS
LOCATION ON THE 11TH DAY OF NOVEMBER, 2000.
LEST WE FORGET