Sunday 29 July 2012
Location: Grey County, Grey Highlands N 44° 18.773 W 080° 31.495
In the parking lot for the Eugenia Falls Conservation Area, west of County Road 13.
This memorial is dedicated to the Local Veterans from the First and Second World Wars. Names of the dead of the Great War appear on the front, those who survived on the back. Names of the soldiers from the Second World War appear on the right side, on the bottom. It was erected by the Eugenia Ladies' Community Group. Limestone base with life-sized statue of a soldier on guard above. A black metal fence surrounds the memorial. Beautiful memorial in a wonderful park setting, with a scenic waterfalls not far away.
"UNTIL THE DAY BREAK AND
SHADOWS FLEE AWAY"
EMERSON C. SMITH
OUR GALLANT DEAD
THEY DIED AS FEW MEN GET
THE CHANCE TO DIE,
FIGHTING TO SAVE A WORLD'S
THEY DIED THE NOBLEST
DEATH A MAN MAY DIE,
FIGHTING FOR GOD. AND RIGHT,
AND SUCH A DEATH IS
ERECTED AND DEDICATED
BY THE PEOPLE OF EUGENIA
AND COMMUNITY, TO THE
MEMORY OF HER SOLDIERS
WHO FOUGHT AND DIED
IN THE GREAT WAR
1914 - 1918
1939 OVERSEAS VETERANS 1945
"THEY OFFERED THEIR LIVES
IN THE SERVICE OF HUMANITY"
THOSE WHO DARING TO DIE SURVIVED
Thursday 26 July 2012
Location: Simcoe County, Springwater Township N 44 21.107 W 080 14.856
On the south side of Highway 124, just east of Church Street, in the park with the ball diamond.
Dedicated to the men of Singhampton and district, who gave their lives in the two World Wars.
TO THE MEN
WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES
IN WORLD WARS I AND II
LEST WE FORGET
1914 TO 1918
1939 TO 1945
THEY SERVED UNTIL DEATH - THEIR GOD - KING AND COUNTRY
MERVIN E. HAMMILL 1946
DUNCAN B. SHARPE 1944
CAPTAIN A.W. DOWNER
ELMER KENWELL 1943
MAC EDWARDS DIED 1948
WILLIAM G. JAQUES DIED 1977
THEIR SACRIFICE WAS MATCHLESS - ALL THEY HAD THEY GAVE
WILLIAM H. RIDDELL
H.R. TOMPKINS DIED 1944
NELSON ARNOTT DIED 1951
D.L. TOMPKINS DIED 1964
RUSSELL LOUGHEED DIED 1958
JOHN D. CAMPBELL DIED 1966
SAMUEL A. TAYLOR
REMEMBERING THOSE WHO SERVED IN CANADA
Sunday 22 July 2012
Location: City of Niagara Falls N 43 05.352 W 79 05.749
On the west side of Lundy's Lane, near the top of the hill.
I have already posted the main memorial at this site(April 28, 2012), marking it as a National Historic to remember the pivotal Battle of Lundy's Lane.
There remains several other smaller but no less important markers in this cemetery which must also be mentioned. Namely the grave of hero Laura Secord, the U.S. Infantry line of advance, and a statue to Lieut-General Drummond who commanded the British troops. Numerous graves of the fallen soldiers are found throughout the cemetery.
Oddly enough, both sides have claimed victory in this important battle, just as they have in the War of 1812 as a whole. There is a movement to restore the U.S. Infantry Line, as well to erect monuments and interpretive plaquing to commemorate the Aboriginal, Black and Women’s History associated with the site.
More information regarding this can be found at http://www.thebattleoflundyslane.ca/
Laura Secord's Grave:
TO Perpetuate the name and fame of Laura Secord
alone nearly 20 miles by a circuitous, difficult and perilous route
through woods and swamps and over miry roads to warn a British outpost
at Decew's Falls of an intended attack and thereby warned LIEUT.
FitzGibbon on the 24th, June, 1813, with less than 50 men of H.M. 49th
Regt., about 15 militiamen and a small force of Six Nation and other
Indians under Captains William johnson Kerr and Domonique Ducharme, to
surprise and attack the enemy at Beechwoods (or Beaver Dams) and after a
short engagement to capture Col. Boerstler of the U.S. Army and his
entire force of 542 men with two field pieces.
Holding the High Ground:
Early on the morning of July 26th, 1814,
Lieutenant-General Sir Gordon Drummond awaited
another attack on the Lundy's Lane hill near
Niagara Falls. Throughout the previous night,
this hill had been taken and retaken in the
bloodiest, most hard fought battle of the war
The expected attack did not occur, the Americans
exhausted, withdrew to Fort Erie. In November,
they abandoned Fort Erie and retired across the
Drummond and his troops had successfully
maintained British sovereignty in the Niagara
The Niagara Parks Commision
U.S. INFANTRY TRENCH JULY 25TH 1814
THIS MONUMENT ERECTED JULY 25TH 1991
BY THE AMERICAN LEGION, NIAGARA
COUNTY COMMITTEE & DEPT. OF NEW YORK.
IN MEMORY OF THE U.S. OFFICERS &
SOLDIERS WHO DIED AT THE BATTLE
OF LUNDY'S LANE.
CONNECTICUT 25TH, NEW YORK 23RD,
MASSACHUSETTS 9TH & 21ST,
PENNSYLVANIA 22ND, & VERMONT 11TH
National Historic Site:
This was the site of the bloodiest battle of the War of 1812. On the
afternoon of 25th July, 1814, Lieutenant-General Gordon Drummond with
about 2800 men engaged the invading American army which had recently
been victorious at Chippawa. The armies were evenly matched and the
six-hour battle lasted until darkness and heavy losses put an end to the
fighting. Each force had lost over 800 men. Although each claimed
victory, the Americans had failed to dislodge Drummond from his
position. They withdrew the next day, ending their offensive in Upper
Saturday 21 July 2012
Location: Wellington County, Centre Wellington N 43 42.170 W 080 22.597
Located in a park at the north-east corner of Tower Street and Bridge Street.
This memorial was first erected in 1935, as a result of the efforts of Dr. Norman Craig, a former Flight-Lieutenant, whose play provided the proceeds to erect this memorial. A stone is dedicated to Dr. Craig and his efforts.
The memorial itself consists of on original large shaft, and two shorter shafts on each side to list the names of those who died from the two World Wars.
Front central shaft:
1914 - 1918
WORLD WAR II
Front left shaft:
BURTON D. HOWARD
Front right shaft:
Main shaft left side:
CANAL DU NORD
Main shaft right side:
Main shaft rear:
ROBERT AIKEN 1ST BATTN.
JOHN ALLAN 87TH BATTN.
FRED BEATTIE 11TH BATTN.
WALTER BELLAMY 4TH DIV C.M.G.C.
DAVID J. BLACK 1ST BATTN.
HUGH H. BLACK M.M. 31ST BATTN.
ROBERT J. BLACK 54TH BATTN.
S.S. BLACK 1ST DIV C.M.G.C.
E.E. BLANCHETT 21ST RY. CC
ROBERT G. CLARK 1ST BATTN.
JAMES COLLIE 18TH BATTN.
RUSSELL L. COLLINGRIDGE 3RD BATTN.
RUSSELL COLTART C.F.A.
HENRY CONLIN M.M. 18TH BATTN.
JOHN L. COOK 54TH BATTN.
WILLIAM J. COURTNEY 18TH BATTN.
R. STANLEY DASS 46TH BATTN.
ERNEST L. DAVIES 87TH BATTN.
R. DAVIS 9TH BATTERY
JAMES EDMISTON 18TH BATTN.
ERNEST E. FARLEY 54TH BATTN.
ISLAND B. FISH 28TH BATTN.
CECIL FLOOD R.C.E.
DAVID GREGSON 1ST BATTN.
LAWRENCE T. HARRISON 18TH BATTN.
JOSEPH HOWARD C.M.G.C.
EVERAD B. IMRIE 18TH BATTN.
WILLIAM JOHNSTON 47TH BATTN.
EVAN KERRUISH R.A.F.
FREDERICK S. KIRVAN 87TH BATTN.
GEORGE B. LEECH 47TH BATTN.
HARRY MIDDLETON 4TH BATTN.
OLIVER NESBITT 43RD BATTERY
REX E. PERRY 74TH BATTN.
PETER PICK 1ST BATTN.
WILLIAM J. REA C.F.A.
LUTHER A. READY 75TH BATTN.
JAMES M. RICHARDSON 8TH BATTN.
MICHAEL RYAN 26TH BATTN.
WILLIAM SIMPSON 75TH BATTN.
JAMES E. SKEOCH C.M.G.C.
JAMES H. STEELE P.P.C.L.I.
GEORGE STEWART 18TH BATTN.
ALEXANDER C. WHITELAW 3RD C.M.G.C.
WALTER E. WILLIAMS 75TH BATTN.
LLOYD W. YOUNG 18TH BATTN.
THESE THOUGHT NOT OF SELF
BUT GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR US
THIS PARK IS DEDICATED TO THE MEMORY OF
DOCTOR NORMAN CRAIG M.R.C.S.(ENG)
EX FLIGHT SUB-LIEUT. R.N.A.S.
1895 - 1965
A BELOVED PHYSICIAN IN FERGUS FOR 43 YEARS
WHO DEDICATED HIS LIFE TO HIS PROFESSION
AUTHOR & PRODUCER OF THE PLAY
>YOU'RE LUCKY IF YOU'RE KILLED<
PROCEEDS OF WHICH WERE USED TO ERECT
THIS ORIGINAL WAR MEMORIAL
DIRECTOR OF THE UNVEILING CEREMONIES
AND THE DAWN PARADE AUGUST 1935
HE IS GREATEST WHO SERVES BEST
Thursday 19 July 2012
Location: Halton Region, Halton Hills N 43 38.742 W 079 55.643
At the entrance to the Georgetown fairgrounds, on Park Avenue, west of Charles Street.
These gates and the entrance to the town park and farigrounds have been dedicated to The Lorne Scots Regiment on their 145 anniversary of service to the area.
LORNE SCOTS WAY
Dedicated October 24, 2011
IN HONOUR OF
THE 145TH ANNIVERSARY
OF THE LORNE SCOTS
(Peel, Dufferin, and Halton Regiment)
by Mayor Rick Bonette
and Members of Town Council
This history is taken from their website: http://www.lornescots.ca/army/history.htm
A Proud Past
On 14 September 1866 the 36th Peel Battalion was authorized and on 28 September the 20th Halton Battalion of Infantry was formed. These two regiments, some 70 years later, were to be reorganized to form The Lorne Scots (Peel, Dufferin and Halton Regiment). The first Scottish connection was made on 27 September 1879 when the Halton Rifles were reviewed by His Excellency The Marquis of Lorne and permission was received in 1881 to redesignate the 20th Halton Rifles as the 20th Halton Battalion Lorne Rifles. In addition, the wearing of tartan trews and the diced Glengarry were authorized and a Pipe Band was formed.
During the Boer War the regiment, as a unit, did not go to war; however, many officers and men from both regiments served there. During the First World War, regiments as such were not mobilized but drafts from various units were called up and formed into numbered battalions.
The 36th Peel Battalion and the 20th Halton Rifles provided 16 officers and 404 other ranks to the 4th Battalion of the 1st Canadian Division. Subsequently many more men from the two regiments were allotted to the 20th, 36th, 58th, 74th, 76th and 81st Battalions. The 126th, 164th and 234th Battalions were raised exclusively in Peel, Dufferin and Halton Counties. After the war, the 36th Peel Regiment was reorganized becoming the Peel and Dufferin Regiment in 1923. The regimental badge adopted was the Demi Lion which was the personal crest of Sir Robert Peel.
The Halton Rifles was reorganized as the Lorne Rifles (Scottish) in 1931 and permission was received from His Grace the Duke of Argyll, the senior Duke of Scotland, to use his personal crest , the Boar's Head and his personal tartan, the Ordinary Campbell. On 15 December 1936, following a general reorganization of the Militia, the Lorne Rifles and the Peel and Dufferin Regiment were amalgamated to form the present regiment, The Lorne Scots (Peel, Dufferin and Halton Regiment).
The Lorne Scots was one of the first units in Canada to be mobilized in 1939, proceeding overseas in January 1940. It was organized into defence companies and platoons at Brigade, Division, Corps and Army Headquarters and served in every theatre of war in which Canadian soldiers fought except Hong Kong. They were in France with elements of the 1st Division early in 1940. A platoon of the Lornes served with The Queen's Own Rifles of Canada at the capture of Boulogne where over 50 percent of the platoon was killed or wounded. Elements of the platoon with 6 Brigade took part in the raid on Dieppe in August 1942 and the platoon landed with 6 Brigade on the beaches of Sicily on 13 July 1943.
Since the war, the regiment has been well represented at all military functions and in 1955 had the largest attendance at summer camp of any infantry regiment in Canada. In autumn of 1963, the regiment was presented with its colours by the Lieutenant-Governor of Ontario, The Honourable W. Earl Rowe, in a ceremony at Caledon. This was followed by an upsurge of interest and prowess in marksmanship in the unit which immediately began to dominate competition shooting at all levels from local to national. This domination has continued to the present time with the unit being represented at various world Championships, Olympics, Pan-American Games and the Bisley Competition in England.
In the 1960s, the Lancashire Fusiliers, the allied regiment in England since 9 May 1929, suffered amalgamation and in the process bestowed its revered primrose hackle on the Lorne Scots for custodianship. It is now worn proudly on the headdress of all Lorne Scots infantry personnel. With the coming of the 1970s, the role of the Militia expanded, resulting in some Lorne Scots members serving in Germany.
The Regiment is first ever Colonel-in-Chief, Field Marshall His Royal Highness The Duke of Kent visited the Regiment in 1979 and 1983 and presented the unit with a new Regimental and Queen's colour on 14 September 1991 in Brampton on the occasion of the regiment's 125th birthday.
The Regiment has also provided troops to many of the United Nations Peacekeeping Forces that Canada has contributed to. These include Cyprus, Cambodia, Namibia and, most recently, the Former Republic of Yugoslavia. A number of troops recently participated in the clean up of activities during the Ice Storm of 98 in Eastern Ontario.
- YPRES, 1915, 1917
- HILL 70
- Festubert, 1915
- MOUNT SORREL
- HINDENBURG LINE
- SOMME, 1916
- PURSUIT TO MONS
- ARRAS, 1917, 1918
- SICILY, 1943
- NORTH-WEST EUROPE, 1944-1945
- ITALY, 1943-45
World War I
World War II
Order of Precedence: 14
The Regiment remains true to its motto:
For Our Heritage
For Our Heritage
Tuesday 17 July 2012
Location: Durham Region, Town of Whitby N 43 56.214 W 078 57.605
Located at the entrance to the Groveside Municipal Cemetery, on the east side of Baldwin Street South (Durham Road 12), between Brooklin and Whitby.
This memorial is dedicated to the members of the Royal Canadian Legion Branch 112 who died. This soldiers' plot was established by the Legion in 1931. A wooden cross was dedicated in 1936 and was replaced by the present stone cross in 1959.
The cross is surrounded by individual markers laid out in rows on the ground.
LEST WE FORGET.
BRANCH 112, WHITBY
Sunday 15 July 2012
Location: Muskoka District N 45 00.697 W 079 36.829
In a small park on the west side of Bala Falls Road, at the top of the hill.
This memorial to the local war dead of the First and Second World Wars was erected by Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 424.
1914 - 1918
LEST WE FORGET
1939 - 1945
IN MEMORY OF THE MEN
OF THIS AREA, WHO
MADE THE SUPREME SACRIFICE
ALFRED JACKSON JR.