Location: City of Peterborough N 44.30944 W -78.32032
At the north side of Confederation Square, at George Street North and McDonnell Street.
This beautiful memorial was erected in May 1886 in memory of Captain Edward T. Brown, who died at the Battle of Batoche during the Northwest Rebellion in May 1885. He was the only local militia member to have died during that conflict.
The memorial was designed by Peterborough architect and engineer John E. Belcher. Originally the ornate, Gothic-designed monument was located in another part of the park and was designed as a fountain. With the unveiling of the cenotaph after WWI, this memorial was moved in 1929 to its current location in the same park. In 1985, the centennial year for the battle, the memorial was restored. The original engraving that was carved in the soft sandstone was barely legible, so a new plaque was installed and the fountain that had not functioned in several years was removed.
At one time, in the history of our young country, this elegant memorial was held is high esteem by the citizens of Peterborough. While today it is still revered by those in the know, it is vastly overshadowed by the nearby cenotaph and its beautiful sculpture. It is still important to remember the sacrifices made by individual volunteer soldiers during their time of service for their country.
BATOCHE 1885 FISH CREEK
and to the
CAPT. EDWARD T. BROWN
of Boulton's Scouts,
a native of
May 12th, 1885