Location: City of Hamilton N 43.16575 W -79.90945
St. Paul's Anglican Cemetery, 2869 Upper James Street.
This memorial is found in the cemetery of the St. Paul's Anglican Church, in what was known as the hamlet of Glanford. The small community is now part of the city of Hamilton, although it still sits on the outskirts of the city, albeit on a very busy road. The memorial is located at the graves of fourteen airmen who died in training at the nearby Mount Hope airfield during WWII. This was part of the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan (B.C.A.T.P.). A plaque at the site tells the brief history of the R.A.F. Remembrance Garden and the story of the men who rest here. All across our nation can be found the graves of those who died in training, never having had the chance to face the enemy, nonetheless, their loss is still as tragic and full of sorrow as anyone else who served or died overseas.
Sign on Church:
Sacred to the memory of the BRITISH FLIERS buried here
who lost their lives in training accidents while stationed
at Mount Hope Airport during WWII
A joint project of
ST. PAUL'S ANGLICAN CHURCH
COMMONWEALTH WAR GRAVES COMMISSION
This Garden was dedicated on
October 15, 2000
"THEY SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH"
The British Commonwealth Air Training Plan (B.C.A.T.P.) was
inaugurated in 1939 at the onset of the Second World War to provide
air training for Commonwealth airmen, safely removed from active
war zones. The Canadian Government sponsor this war-winning
plan which produced approximately 140,000 airmen and 45,000
Six of the one hundred and seven Canadian B.C.A.T.P. airfields
were located in this part of Ontario. No. 33 Air Navigation School at
Mount Hope was established in 1941 in addition to No. 10 Elementary
Flying School and No. 1 Air Wireless School. Between November
1941 and December 1943, sixteen R.A.F. servicemen in the Air
Navigation School died while training here and all but two were
buried in St. Paul's Glanford Anglican Cemetery. A service
of remembrance has been held annually for these men who lie
far from home. In 2000, a Remembrance Garden was planted by the
congregation and dedicated to the memory of these R.A.F. members.
Hamilton Historical Board 2005