Monday 9 April 2012

Toronto - Old City Hall


Location:  N 43° 39.143 W 079° 22.894   On the north side of Queen Street, at Bay Street, in front of Old City Hall.

This large and impressive war memorial was unveiled on July 24th, 1925, by Field Marshall The Earl Haig, Commander in Chief of the British Forces in the Great War.


This is the main memorial in Toronto for Remembrance Day ceremonies.  The day that I published this entry there was also a ceremony at this cenotaph, to remember the 95th Anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge.


Marker Text:
Front:
TO OUR GLORIOUS DEAD

1939-1945
1914-1918
1950-1953
PEACEKEEPING

Left:
PASSCHENDAELE

AMIENS

ARRAS

Right:
YPRES

SOMME

MOUNT SORREL

VIMY

Rear:
ZEEBRUGGE

DEDICATED
BY THE CITIZENS
OF TORONTO
TO THE UNDYING
MEMORY OF THOSE
WHO FELL IN THE
GREAT WAR
1914-1918












2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shoot, I can't even post correctly today, so I"m doing this for the second time.

    I recently tried to photograph this one and post it on my blog, but I was somewhat defeated by the busy conditions, construction, and the lousy nature of my now too old compact digital camera. Anyhow, those are here:

    http://warmonument.blogspot.com/2015/01/all-wars-memorial-toronto-ontario-old.html

    I'm glad these better photos are on your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.